The Paper Museum was established on June 8, 1950 in Oji, Kita-ku, Tokyo, known as the place where Western-style paper was first produced in Japan. Oji is where the first large-scale modern paper mill in Japan, “Shoshi Kaisha” (later Oji Mill of Oji Paper), which was founded by Eiichi Shibusawa, known as the father of Japanese capitalism, was built. The mill commenced production in 1875 and “Shoshi Kaisha” continued to operate while changing its name to “Paper company” and “Oji Mill of Oji Paper”. However, the company suffered catastrophic damage from air raids during World War II.

In 1949, the Law for the Elimination of Excessive Concentration of Economic Power the Excessive Economic Power Deconcentration Law was implemented as part of occupation policy, and Oji Paper was split into Tomakomai Paper, Jujo Paper Industries, and Honshu Paper. Thereafter, in the following year (1950), in order to contribute to social education, the company’s original collection was opened to the public, and the “Paper Making Memorial Museum”, the predecessor to the Paper Museum, was established. The electrical room of the mill, which was the only room that remained unburned, was used for the building of the museum.

->The Predecessor to the Paper Museum,->the predecessor
->Materials” in Oji Paper The First Director, Kiyofusa Narita

June 1950)Paper Making Memorial Museum opens at 1-1-8 Horifune, Kita-ku, Tokyo.Soon after that, the museum is authorized as an incorporated foundation.

In November, the museum becomes a member of the Japanese Association of Museums.
1952The museum becomes a registered museum (No. 4) based on the Museum Act.
1953The museum is renamed the “Paper Making Museum”.
1965The museum is renamed the “Paper Museum”.
1998The museum moves to the new building in Asukayama Park and reopens as one of the “Three Museums in Asukayama”.
2007From the museum’s collection, eight items from the plans and drawings for Shoshi Kaisha are designated as “recommended industrial heritage” by the Japan Industrial Archaeology Society.

The whole collection in the museum is designated as “Heritage of Industrial Modernization” by the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.
2009The museum is authorized as a public interest incorporated foundation.
2020The museum marks its 70th anniversary.